The Ashes 2023, 5th Test | ENG vs AUS, Cricket Fantasy Tips and Predictions - Cricket Exchange Fantasy Teams
Steven Smith would like to finish things off in style. (Image - ICC).
England (ENG) and Australia (AUS) are set to lock horns against each other in the fifth and final match of the ongoing Ashes 2023. The encounter is scheduled for Thursday, July 27, 2023, at The Oval, and will get underway at 3:30 PM IST.
However, before the game goes live, here is a look at some of the important player stats, the prime player picks, and the best-suggested XIs for the fantasy contests of this match.
After winning the first two Tests, Australia found themselves in a difficult situation following a spirited counterattacking performance by the Ben Stokes-led side at Headingley. The Kangaroos lost by three wickets and were on the verge of losing another at Old Trafford, Manchester. However, the rain came to their rescue to avoid an embarrassing defeat, and in the process, they successfully retained the Ashes.
After the heartbreak in Manchester, England want to keep their heads high at The Oval. Their only objective since the Bazball’s introduction is to get a result, and to make things happen, they have been going with an ultra-aggressive batting approach, something which was not familiar in red-ball cricket until Brendon McCullum’s tenure began. Australia, meanwhile, will try to justify the reigning World Test Championship (WTC) winners tag by pulling off a victory against the momentum.
ENG vs AUS, Team Form Guide
England: D, W, L, L, W
Australia: D, L, W, W, W
ENG vs AUS, Must Picks
- Ashes 2023 Record: 385 runs in seven innings
- Recent Form: 266 runs in previous three innings
- Ashes 2023 Record: 18 wickets in eight innings
- Recent Form: Seven wickets in previous four innings
- Ashes 2023 Record: 248 runs in eight innings
- Recent Form: 80 runs in previous three innings
- Ashes 2023 Record: 16 wickets in seven innings
- Recent Form: Eight wickets in previous three innings
ENG vs AUS, Risky Picks
- Ashes 2023 Record: 271 runs in seven innings
- Recent Form: 139 runs in previous three innings
- Ashes 2023 Record: 201 runs in eight innings
- Recent Form: 65 runs in previous four innings
ENG vs AUS, Top Captain or Vice-captain Choices
Stuart Broad (ENG)
- Stuart Broad has been in phenomenal form in the ongoing series, and his tally of 18 wickets has helped him to sit on the top of the wicket-takers chart.
- Broad has left the field wicketless only once in eight innings in the ongoing series, suggesting that he has been thoroughly consistent since the beginning.
Mark Wood (ENG)
- Mark Wood has been reaping rewards since he arrived from the third Test, as his stupendous tally of 11 wickets in two matches at a strike rate of 30.90 indicates how ferocious he has been in the previous outings.
- In Tests, bowlers are always safe captain and vice-captain choices, and if you have someone like Wood to pick, you better dare not to think twice about the matter.
Mitchell Starc (AUS)
- Although Pat Cummins (16) has a wicket more than Mitchell Starc (15) in the ongoing series, the latter has been comparatively a more fearsome option for the opposition.
- Despite Australia’s below-par performances in the last two outings, Starc remained threatening to England, claiming nine wickets in his previous three innings.
AUS vs ENG, Team for Head-to-Head/Small League Contests
Wicket-keepers: Ben Duckett
Batters: Steven Smith, Joe Root, Usman Khawaja, Zak Crawley, Travis Head
All-rounders: Chris Woakes
Bowlers: Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad
Captain: Mark Wood
Vice-Captain: Mitchell Starc
ENG: 6, AUS: 5
AUS vs ENG, Team for Winner Takes All/Grand League Contests
Wicket-keepers: Jonny Bairstow,
Batters: Steven Smith, Joe Root, Marnus Labuschagne, Zak Crawley
All-rounders: Ben Stokes, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes
Bowlers: Mitchell Starc, Mark Wood, Pat Cummins
Captain: Steven Smith
Vice-Captain: Joe Root
ENG: 7, AUS: 4