• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Piece Of St Comment Lands Usman Khawaja In Hot Water As Cricket Australia Prepares Formal Notice

'Piece of  s**t' comment lands Usman Khawaja in hot water as Cricket Australia prepares formal notice



Usman Khawaja in the first Test (Source: AFP)Usman Khawaja in the first Test (Source: AFP)

In a significant development, Australian opener Usman Khawaja is expected to receive a formal notice from Cricket Australia (CA) after openly criticising the Perth Stadium pitch used for the first Test. He called the surface as "piece of s**t" while speaking at a charity lunch earlier this week. 

According to several reports and one from the Sydney Morning Herald, the board was displeased not only with the language used but also with the fact that his comments directly contradicted the ICC’s official assessment of the pitch. 

Match referee Ranjan Madugalle had awarded the Perth wicket a "very good" rating, the highest rating an ICC official can give, despite the match finishing inside two days.

Usman Khawaja's harsh take on the pitch

At the event held for the Usman Khawaja Foundation, the opener delivered a blunt remark on the surface. He claimed the pitch had dangerous, unpredictable bounce and said several batters were struck due to uneven movement off the deck.

“Nineteen wickets on the first day and about 20 people got hit, that’s a great wicket, that seems real fair. Steve Smith’s by far the best cricketer I’ve ever played with, and he’s missing the middle of his bat by a long way – he does not miss the middle of his bat. He’s getting hit in the elbow. Up and down (movement) is the hardest, sideways is a little bit easier, but up and down, your hands can’t catch up. So, day one wicket at (Perth) is a piece of s**t, I’m happy to say that. It has been last year; it was this year," Khawaja had said at an event for his Usman Khawaja Foundation.

Madugalle’s official report, however, described the pitch as having "good carry, limited seam movement, and consistent early bounce," and deemed the contest to have offered a fair balance between bat and ball.

CA expected to act after Gabba Test 

It is vital to note that reports suggest CA will not address the issue publicly until they speak directly with Khawaja. Officials are not willing to distract him ahead of the second Test at the Gabba but will seek an explanation when he joins the squad in Brisbane on Sunday. Only after this meeting will CA decide whether further action is necessary or not. 

For the second Ashes Test (December 4) Australia have retained the same squad. The team, leading the series 1–0, will have an optional training session at the Gabba.