Lucknow Super Giants - IPL 2023 SWOT Analysis Ahead of The Playoffs
Lucknow Super Giants (Source: BCCI/IPL)
Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) endured a topsy-turvy ride in this year's IPL edition but managed to deliver well in crunch games which saw them through to playoffs. They are currently ranked number 3 in the points table with 8 wins out of 14 games.
As the Lucknow-based franchise anxiously awaits their do-or-die match against Mumbai Indians, let us evaluate their strong points, potential areas of weaknesses, and foresee how the team will fare in their upcoming fixture against a quality MI side.
Strengths of LSG in IPL 2023
- Marcus Stoinis: The 33-year-old all-rounder from Australia has been in explosive form this season. He has been using the blade to good effect and has played a few match winnings cameos to power his side to emphatic victories. He is averaging 30.67 and has an astounding strike rate of over 150 with the bat. While with the ball, Stoinis has made some notable contributions which also included his match-winning spell of 2/28 which dismantled RR well short of their target.
- Nicholas Pooran: LSG think tank invested heavily on this West Indian batting stalwart and are now getting their money's worth. Pooran has been in scintillating form this season striking at a monstrous strike rate of over 175. He is averaging 32.55 and has played some brilliant match-winning knocks for his side which primarily features 62 (19) and 58 (30) against RCB and KKR respectively.
- Ravi Bishnoi: Bishnoi has been the highest wicket-taker for LSG this season. Ravi has grabbed 16 wickets in 14 matches at an impressive average of 22.56. The talented leggie has proved to be very successful on turning tracks. He used his immaculate wrong-un and variations in pace to successfully deceive a lot of power hitters in this year's IPL edition.
Weakness of LSG in IPL 2023
- Possible woes in the LSG pace battery: LSG team management will need to address some potential issues pertaining to their fast bowling department ahead of the eliminator. Front-line seamers featuring the likes of Avesh Khan and Jaydev Unadkat have been on the expensive side. Unadkat has gone wicketless and has leaked runs at over 11 RPO. Avesh on the other hand has got a few wickets under his belt but has struggled with consistency going at 9.76 RPO. Besides, Kyle Mayers who is well renowned for his crafty swing bowling has been severely underutilized in this IPL season.
- Absence of KL Rahul: The loss of the former LSG skipper KL Rahul came as a big blow for the Lucknow-based franchise when he pulled his hamstring while chasing the ball at deep extra cover region against RCB on May 1. Although Rahul was short of runs prior to his injury, the 31-year-old has a lot of IPL experience under his belt. Krunal Pandya may have replaced Rahul as a skipper, but his expertise will strongly be missed by LSG think tank.
- Struggling Deepak Hooda: Hooda has failed to explode with the bat this season. Known for his powerful batting abilities, Hooda has been struggling to get his feet moving in this year's IPL edition. His batting average is at a shocking low of 6.9 whilst his strike rate is at an embarrassing low of 89.61.
Opportunities for LSG in IPL 2023
- Impressive win record: LSG will have a satisfying sense of feeling leading into their upcoming fixture against MI knowing that they have an impressive track record against them. Both teams clashed on three occasions and LSG triumphed in all 3 of them. This will certainly boost their morale and self-confidence as a team as they prepare to lock horns against 5 time IPL champions.
Threat for LSG in IPL 2023
- Surya can go ballistic: Suryakumar Yadav has sprung back in form and has looked in very threatening form in the last few games. His 360-degree cricket has come to the fore and bowlers are having a hard time containing his aggressive stroke play. He smashed a record-breaking century of 103* (49) against a dominant GT bowling line-up to single-handedly drive MI to a famous landslide victory. If he finds his feet again, then LSG will be up for some very rude awakening in the eliminator match on May 24.
- Green can shatter their playoff dream: The tall fast bowling all-rounder is beginning to shine with the bat in the latter stage of the tournament. When MI prepared to take on SRH during the 69th fixture, Green launched a scathing attack on the SRH bowlers and notched up a lightning century of 100 (47) to power MI to the playoff stage. If he gets going again, the consequences for LSG can be very dire.
Final prediction: Judging by the past statistics, LSG have the upper hand and would look to make it 4 in a row to potentially seal their spot in the final.