Gujarat Titans - IPL 2023 SWOT Analysis Ahead of The Playoffs
Gujarat Titans won the IPL Trophy in 2022 (Source: Twitter)
As we progress to the knockout phase of the tournament, Gujarat Titans (GT) appears to be a well-organised side towering the points table with 10 wins under their belt. They have had a phenomenal run this season and would be eyeing their second consecutive IPL title this year.
GT were the first ones to storm into the playoffs and have by far looked the most invincible side in this year's IPL edition. As the countdown for the finals begins, we do a deep dive analysis to decode GT's strong points, potential weaknesses and try to decipher what fate awaits them in the final few matches of this season.
Strengths of GT in IPL 2023 Playoffs
- Shubman Gill: The man needs no introduction. Gill has been a nightmare for many bowlers and has terrorised many oppositions through his dazzling stroke play. Lauded by several cricketing pundits, Gill has already smashed two match-winning tons and has a lethal strike rate of 152.47. Once he gets going at the top of the order, the opposing team at the receiving end will have devastating consequences.
- Quality Spin Bowling Attack: GT's spin bowling attack primarily featuring Rashid Khan and Noor Ahmed has been turning things around for GT this season. The duo has a myriad of variations up their sleeve that has led to the undoing of several high-profile batters. Rashid looks in threatening form with 24 wickets to his name at an average of 18.25. While his countryman Noor is following in his footsteps and has bagged 13 wickets in 10 games at an extraordinary economy rate of 7.96 RPO.
- Robust Middle Order: GT does not have a shortage of explosive middle-order batters. They are equipped with the services of David Miller, Vijay Shankar, Rahul Tewatia and Rashid Khan, all of them are truly capable of using the long handle very well. GT management can safely count on these men should they run into an unprecedented batting collapse or try to accelerate their scoring rate during middle overs.
Weakness of GT in IPL 2023 Playoffs
- Hardik Pandya's lacklustre show with the bat: The skipper has led his side well but when it comes to his batting, the 29-year-old has looked very rusty. So far in the season, the talented all-rounder has failed to make sizeable contributions with the bat apart from two fifties. Besides, his strike rate is also at an all-time low hovering around the 130-mark which is very unusual as per his standards. Hardik's resurgence to form is absolutely vital if GT are to defend their title.
Opportunity for GT in IPL 2023 Playoffs
- Seam bowling arsenal: GT seamers featuring the likes of Mohammed Shami, Mohit Sharma, Alzarri Joseph and Yash Dayal have been delivering upfront. Shami has spearheaded the bowling attack well, picking up 24 wickets at an astounding average of 17.67. Mohit has made a memorable comeback in this year's IPL edition claiming two player of the match awards.
- Impressive win record against CSK: If we were to go by the past statistics of both the sides, GT has a superior record against the 4 time IPL champions winning 3 out of 3 games. GT will be a much-relieved side leading into the first qualifier match which will be played on May 23. They have every possibility to make it 4 in a row and seal their spot in the finals.
Threat for GT in IPL 2023 Playoffs
- Slow deck at Chidambaram: The Chidambaram venue is not known for its high-scoring nature. Besides, it only takes a few overs for the ball to start gripping and making batting a very challenging chore. If GT bats in the first innings, they will need to navigate through pretty challenging conditions that will largely be favouring the slow bowlers.
- Possibility of dew: Dew coupled with humid Chennai weather can play the spoilsport if GT are asked to defend in the second innings. If this possibility becomes a reality then GT bowlers particularly the spinners will have a hard time gripping the ball and may risk leaking a few runs in the middle-phase of the second innings.
Final Prediction: GT have ticked all their boxes this season and have thumped nearly all teams in this year's IPL season. With solid form under their belt, we can expect GT to sail past CSK to book their place in the finals.