• Home
  • Who Said What
  • Will Riyan Parag Continue To Bat At 3 Despite Failures Rahul Dravid Answers

Will Riyan Parag Continue To Bat At 3 Despite Failures? Rahul Dravid Answers



Rahul Dravid and Riyan Parag. [Source - Hiprsm/x.com]Rahul Dravid and Riyan Parag. [Source - Hiprsm/x.com]

Rajasthan Royals have had a disappointing start to their IPL 2025 campaign. The Men in Pink lost both of their opening games against Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kolkata Knight Riders. 

The team faced early blows ahead of the season, with captain Sanju Samson not fully available for the first few matches, leading to Riyan Parag stepping in as the stand-in skipper. While Parag's leadership is being scrutinised after two back to back losses, the bigger question has been his batting position.

Dravid Justifies Parag’s No. 3 Spot

Despite having a breakthrough at number four position last year, Parag has been pushed up to number three, causing confusion and raising doubts about the team's batting strategy and overall balance. 

However, even after Parag’s underwhelming performance at number three, Rajasthan Royals' head coach Rahul Dravid believes that promoting him up the order was the right move.

"Riyan is one of our best batters, let’s be honest. And we want to give him as many balls as we possibly can. 20 overs is a very short time and the more balls Riyan Parag bats for us, the better it is for us as a team,” Dravid said in the press conference on Saturday.

Dravid has backed the decision, claiming that there was a strategic angle to give Parag more time in the middle and allow him to make a bigger impact for the team. Besides, Dravid further shed light on the possibility of reassessing the situation, stating that if the team needs any change, they would not hesitate to move Parag back to his successful number four position.

"Honestly, the move to promote him was on a positive note to try and give him more time to bat. But, of course, we will continue to look at, assess, and see how things go. And, yes, we know Riyan has done exceptionally well at No. 4, so this gives us an option," he added. 

Parag Gears Up for CSK Showdown

While the 23-year-old has struggled to convert his starts, Dravid remains confident in his potential and feels that the decision will eventually pay off, acknowledging Parag’s versatility to bat anywhere in the batting order. 

From Riyan Parag's point of view, he will be eager to face Chennai Super Kings on Sunday evening and make a significant impact, with a point to prove and contribute to what can be the first win after two losses in a row for the Royals this season.