• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Kamran Akmal Is Very Much Part Of Our Side Confirms Peshawar Zalmi

Kamran Akmal is very much part of our side, confirms Peshawar Zalmi

The Pakistan Super League franchise Peshawar Zalmi confirmed that wicket-keeper batsman Kamran Akmal will be a part of the team for the next edition of the competition.

The right-handed batsman had earlier opted out of the tournament as protest after he was relegated to the silver category during the players draft.

"For me self-respect is foremost and it's not about money," Akmal told ESPNcricinfo. "Had it about the more money I could have left Zalmi long ago but they are like a family and I never imagined leaving them.”

Zalmi's head coach Mohammad Akram on the other side said that picking Akmal in the Silver category was a part of the strategy. 

"We have a great respect for Kamran," Mohammad Akram, Zalmi's head coach, told ESPNcricinfo. "Picking him in the Silver category was a part of our strategy as draft dictates who you pick at what stage,” he said. 

“We had the right-to-match card with us and we saved it for him in case any team could have tried to pick him. So when you have a tool to protect your player you make sure that he isn't hurt money wise,” he added. 

Akram further said that the situation was pretty sorted after explaining everything to the wicket-keeper batsman.

"We respect his feelings but once I explained to him, he understood,” he said. 

“We named him as mentor as well. He is a very senior cricketer and as a coach I get motivation from his passion and hunger and hard work that he still puts in like an Under-19 boy. So it's all sorted and he is very much part of our side." 

Discover more

Top Stories
news

Virat Kohli dismisses reports of his break, confirms availability for South Africa ODI series

Quashing all the allegations that he has opted out of the ODI series against India which fuelled a lot of speculations about his relationship with Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli announced his availability for the ODI leg of the tour of South Africa. There were media reports suggesting that Kohli has sought a break from the game and would return after featuring in the three-match long Test series starting December 26. Kohli doubled down in his reply and asked the credibility of the source leaking wrong information and fuelling speculations. He reiterated that he has not asked of any rest during the ODI series and will stay back in South Africa. "I am available for the ODI series. Do not ask me these questions! Ask those writing these things. I am always available. A few things came out in the past as well which were also not true. All those who are writing, their sources are not credible. Few people told I was attending events and all. All these sources are not credible. I'm available for the series. I haven't asked for any rest,” Kohli said in the press conference before embarking on the tour of South Africa. Kohli was sacked from ODI captaincy last week when selectors announced the squad for the Test series against South Africa. In the press release announcing the Test squad, the BCCI added merely one sentence to make public the selectors’ decision to appoint Rohit Sharma as India’s ODI captain in place of Kohli.