BBL 11 | Glenn Maxwell hits first century of his Big Bash career

Glenn Maxwell hit his first-ever Big Bash hundred in the league’s 11-year-old history as he smashed the Sydney Sixers bowlers all over the park. The hundred was brought upon in only 54 balls. The right-hander was finally removed at 103 off 57 balls by Chris Jordan in the 19th over. 

Maxwell, who came to bat at the fall of the second wicket of his team Melbourne Stars in the 13th match of the BBL 11 season being played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, the home ground of the Stars, hit his fifty in 35 balls as his team struggled in the first of the innings, being 68-3 in the first 10 overs.

But once he reached his fifty, there was no stopping the Big Show as he kept on hitting one boundary after the other and kept clearing the huge MCG boundary with ease. In his innings, the 33-year-old hit 12 fours and three sixes. He also built an 85 run stand with Hilton Cartwright which was crucial in getting the Stars to 177. 

Maxwell, prior to this match hadn’t hit a hundred in the BBL in his 11-year-old career and his previous best was 84 in 90 games.

Discover more

Top Stories
news

Virat Kohli dismisses reports of his break, confirms availability for South Africa ODI series

Quashing all the allegations that he has opted out of the ODI series against India which fuelled a lot of speculations about his relationship with Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli announced his availability for the ODI leg of the tour of South Africa. There were media reports suggesting that Kohli has sought a break from the game and would return after featuring in the three-match long Test series starting December 26. Kohli doubled down in his reply and asked the credibility of the source leaking wrong information and fuelling speculations. He reiterated that he has not asked of any rest during the ODI series and will stay back in South Africa. "I am available for the ODI series. Do not ask me these questions! Ask those writing these things. I am always available. A few things came out in the past as well which were also not true. All those who are writing, their sources are not credible. Few people told I was attending events and all. All these sources are not credible. I'm available for the series. I haven't asked for any rest,” Kohli said in the press conference before embarking on the tour of South Africa. Kohli was sacked from ODI captaincy last week when selectors announced the squad for the Test series against South Africa. In the press release announcing the Test squad, the BCCI added merely one sentence to make public the selectors’ decision to appoint Rohit Sharma as India’s ODI captain in place of Kohli.

news

Women’s World Cup 2022: India to begin its campaign with clash against arch-rivals Pakistan

It will be an India vs Pakistan clash to kick off the Women’s ODI World Cup 2022 campaign for the India Women’s team in New Zealand. The match will take place on March 6 at the Bay Oval in Tauranga, the same venue which will host the opening clash of the World Cup. The World Cup will open with hosts New Zealand Women facing West Indies Women on March 4, 2022. On the very next day, two other big sporting arch0rivals, Australia and England will square off at Seddon Park in Hamilton on March 5. In the tournament, eight teams will face each other once in a league format and then the top four teams will qualify for the semi-finals. In total 31 games will be played across 31 days and the cities of Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton, Tauranga, and Wellington will host the entire tournament. Apart from hosts New Zealand, India, Australia, England and South Africa qualified for the showpiece 50 over event on the basis of their top-four ranking the ICC Women’s Championship 2017-21. The remaining three teams i.e. Bangladesh, West Indies and Pakistan were to go through a global qualifier event with seven other teams. But the tournament was cut short in the middle due to Omicron and thus these top-ranked teams among the 10 teams qualified on the basis of ICC rankings. The first semi-final will be played at The Basin Reserve in Wellington on 30 March while The Hagley Oval in Christchurch will host the second semi-final (31 March) and the final (3 April). Both the semi-finals and the finals will have a reserve day in place.