MI's 81-Run Victory Over Lucknow Super Giants Sets Records Tumbling
Akash Madhwal wreaked havoc vs LSG (IPLT20.com)
In a ruthless display during the Eliminator of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023, Mumbai Indians (MI) showcased their mastery in all facets of the game. With clinical precision, the five-time IPL champions triumphed over Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) by a resounding margin of 81 runs at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
This emphatic victory propelled MI into Qualifier 2, where they are set to clash with the defending champions, Gujarat Titans. The outcome of this riveting encounter will determine the finalist who will vie for the coveted IPL 2023 title against Chennai Super Kings. On the other hand, LSG's dreams were shattered as they were eliminated from the tournament.
Throughout this high-stakes confrontation, an abundance of records were shattered, adding further intrigue to the contest. Let us delve into the remarkable milestones that were achieved during the LSG vs MI Eliminator.
- 81 – Third biggest margin of victory (by runs) in IPL playoffs after 105 - RR vs DC in 2008 and 86 - CSK vs DC in 2012
- 3 - Most run-out dismissals in an innings (IPL playoffs) equalling 3 by MI vs CSK in IPL 2010 final
- 5/5 - Best bowling figures for an uncapped Indian player in the IPL, going past 5/14 by Ankit Rajpoot for KXIP vs SRH in 2018
- 5/5 - Fifth best bowling returns in the IPL history after 6/12 by Alzarri Joseph, 6/14 by Sohail Tanvir, 6/19 by Adam Zampa & 5/5 by Anil Kumble
- 5/5 - Best bowling returns in IPL playoffs after 4/13 - Doug Bollinger, 4/14 - Jasprit Bumrah & 4/14 - Dhawal Kulkarni
- 5/5 - Most economical fifer in IPL history, matching legendary Anil Kumble 5/5 for RCB vs RR in 2009
Coming to the game, MI won the toss and elected to bat first, ultimately amassing a total of 182/8 on the scoreboard in their allotted 20 overs. Cameron Green emerged as the top-scorer, delivering a scintillating knock of 41 runs off a mere 23 deliveries. LSG's Naveel-ul-Haq emerged as the pick of the bowlers, claiming four wickets for 38 runs.
In response, Madhwal dismantled the backbone of LSG's batting lineup by swiftly securing three crucial wickets at the start. Marcus Stoinis emerged as the leading run-scorer for LSG, contributing an impressive 40 runs but found no support at the other end. Madhwal's magnificent five-wicket haul, coupled with three runouts, ultimately culminated in MI's commanding victory.
Now, the stage is set for a thrilling clash between MI and GT in Qualifier 2 of IPL 2023, scheduled to take place on Thursday. This high-voltage encounter will unfold at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.