• Home
  • Cricket News
  • West Indies Name Additional Spinners For Final Two Matches Hetmyer And Mccoy Rested

West Indies name additional spinners for final two matches, Hetmyer and McCoy rested

With the five-match T20I series against Australia already won with two matches to spare, the West Indies team management has decided to bolster their spin department for the two inconsequential matches against the Aussies. They have included left-arm spinner Akeal Hosein and right-arm offie Kevin Sinclair. 

Having made their international debuts earlier this year, both these spinners have been named as replacements for the swashbuckling Shimron Hetmyer and left-arm pacer Obed McCoy. Hetmyer scored a match-winning 61 in the second encounter while McCoy was instrumental in their victory in the opening encounter. 

McCoy bagged four wickets as West Indies staged a dramatic turnaround in the final stretch of the game. Since then it has been all West Indies as they have produced some exceptional all-round display which has ensured their unassailable 3-0 lead in the series. Both Hetmyer and McCoy are nursing minor injuries and the team management doesn’t want to risk with the series already won. 

"We took the decision to rest players who have picked up some niggles and give opportunities to other players in the squad," chief selector Roger Harper said of the changes. 

The last two encounters of the series will be played at the Darren Sammy National Stadium in St Lucia on 15th July (Thursday) and 17th July (Saturday). Kieron Pollard has been retained in the squad and his availability will depend upon his fitness ahead of the 4th encounter. 

This is the updated squad for the last two matches

Kieron Pollard (C), Nicholas Pooran (VC), Fabian Allen, Dwayne Bravo, Sheldon Cottrell, Akeal Hosein, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle, Kevin Sinclair, Evin Lewis, Andre Russell, Lendl Simmons, Oshane Thomas, Hayden Walsh Jr.



Discover more

Top Stories
news

Kieron Pollard and Andre Russell to miss inaugural edition of The Hundred

The list of players pulling out from the inaugural edition of “The Hundred” seems to be increasing with each passing day. As per the current development as many as five more players have made themselves unavailable for the tournament including the likes of dynamic Caribbean duo Kieron Pollard and Andre Russell. In the women’s tournament, star Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry has withdrawn her name from the tournament citing personal issues. Hayley Matthews has been named as the replacement for Sune Luus after she tested positive for COVID-19 and was ruled out of the whole competition. The Caribbean all-rounder will ply his trade for Welsh Fire. Meanwhile, New Zealand all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme has been signed up by the Southern Brave as a replacement for the swashbuckling Andre Russell. He has withdrawn his name for the tournament in order to fulfil international commitments. "When I got the call to join Southern Brave it was an easy decision. I've settled in really well at Hampshire and I'm hoping to create some more fantastic memories at the Ageas Bowl. I'm really looking forward to linking up with Devon Conway again and all of the guys can't wait to get going,” Colin de Grandhomme said after signing his deal with Southern Brave. Meanwhile, Hayley Matthews was excited to be a part of the inaugural Hundred competition and to share the field with Sarah Taylor. "When I got the call to join Southern Brave it was an easy decision. I've settled in really well at Hampshire and I'm hoping to create some more fantastic memories at the Ageas Bowl. I'm really looking forward to linking up with Devon Conway again and all of the guys can't wait to get going,” she said. Fast bowler Marchant de Lange has been snapped up by the Trent Rockets as a replacement for Pakistan speedster Wahab Riaz after the left-arm pacer was forced to return to Pakistan due to visa issues. Glenn Phillips who played a match-defining knock in the 3rd ODI against Pakistan will play the whole tournament for Welsh Fire as a replacement for Kieron Pollard. The regular Windies white-ball skipper hasn’t played a single match in the ongoing T20 series against Australia owing to a hamstring injury he sustained ahead of the series. Ellyse Perry who is arguably the greatest female cricketer to have graced the game has been replaced by Katie Mack after striking a replacement deal with the Birmingham Phoenix.

news

Happy to get the youngsters in the team and see their dreams come true - Shikhar Dhawan

Ahead of the white-ball series against Sri Lanka, India stand-in skipper Shikhar Dhawan who will be leading the national team for the first time in the absence of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma wants his side to remain together and have a good frame of mind ahead of their test against Sri Lanka. With several of the top-notch players in England preparing for the Test series, the new-look Indian side is all set to lock horns against Sri Lanka in six limited-overs matches (3 ODIs and 3 T20s). The series kicks off in Colombo from 18th July. "It is a big achievement for me that I have become the captain of the Indian side. As a leader, my idea is to keep everyone together and happy that is the most important thing," Dhawan said on the Star Sports show 'Follow the Blues'. "We have got a lovely bunch of boys, great support staff, and we have worked earlier as well,” he added. One of the most prolific openers in world cricket, Dhawan shares a good camaraderie with Rahul Dravid who has been assigned as the head coach for the series. "I have a good relation with Rahul Bhai. When I started playing Ranji Trophy, I played against him, and I have known him since then. When I went to play India A match, I was the captain, and he was the coach, so there was interaction. "When he became the director of NCA, we used to go there for around 20 days, so we had a lot of interaction, and now we have good chemistry. And now that we have the chance to play six matches together, so it will be great fun, and I think we all sync nicely," Dhawan added. Quite a few uncapped players have been picked in the squad. However, Rahul Dravid has made clear that only one or two spots is up for grabs and it won’t be possible to give a break to all the players present in the squad. Irrespective of the opportunities they get, Dhawan wants all of them to enjoy themselves and their journey to the national team. "Happy to get the youngsters in the team and see their dreams come true. It's a big thing that these youngsters have come from their respective hometowns with certain dreams, and their dreams are getting fulfilled. "And now, they should enjoy the journey which landed them in team India, and they should know the value of their strength and how to improve it," he said. Dhawan feels that a perfect blend of youth and experience will benefit not only the juniors but also the senior members in the team. "There are seniors in the team, so the youngsters will learn from them, and we will get to learn from the youngsters. Whenever I meet the youngsters they often have new ways of thinking, and I try to learn things which will help us," Dhawan concluded.