• Home
  • Cricket News
  • We Are Most Likely To Go Ahead With Same Xi For Second Test Babar Azam

We are most likely to go ahead with same XI for second Test: Babar Azam

Pakistan lead the two-match Test series against Zimbabwe 1-0 after beating the hosts convincingly by an innings and 116 runs in the first encounter in Harare. Captain Babar Azam hailed his team’s efforts in the last clash and isn’t looking to tweak the winning combination in the second game. 

"We won the first Test convincingly in three days, so we are most likely to go ahead with the winning combination (for the second Test),'' said Babar Azam addressing the media.

Talking about the all-round performance, Babar further said that the openers did their job with precision while the middle-order and the bowling attack dominated well. 

"Our openers set the tone (in the first Test) and the middle order took forward the momentum, especially Fawad Alam whose experience was very important for us in Tests," said Azam. "Hasan Ali was outstanding and Shaheen Afridi bowled well, in fact, our bowlers dominated the first Test."

Riding on Shaheen Afridi and Hasan Ali’s brilliant bowling performance in the first innings, the visitors bundled out Zimbabwe for 176 and then posted 426, courtesy another hundred from Fawad Alam and some magnificent efforts from Imran Butt with the bat. 

Zimbabwe were then bowled out for 134 in the second innings. Hasan rattled the Zimbabwean batting line up and returned with a five-wicket haul during the course. 

The two teams will now begin the second Test on Friday in Harare. Pakistan earlier won the three-match T20I series 2-1. 

Discover more

Top Stories
news

Shafali Verma on radar of The Hundred teams as replacement candidate

Indian eves’ dynamic T20I opener, Shafali Verma might be the fifth woman cricketer from the country to play in the inaugural edition of The Hundred. The 17-year-old is being looked upon as a replacement for South African cricketers, five of whom have been signed up for the eight-team tournament. Four Indians in T20I skipper Harmanpreet Kaur, vice-captain Smriti Mandhana, all-rounder Deepti Sharma and middle-order batter Jemimah Rodrigues have already been signed by Manchester Originals, Southern Brave, London Spirit and Northern Superchargers respectively for the tournament that begins on July 21. South Africa’s Chloe Tryon, Mignon du Preez and Lizelle Lee, skipper Dane van Niekerk and Marizanne Kapp have contracts from various sides of The Hundred. However, since flights from the rainbow nation have been suspended to the United Kingdom since December 2020, it would be very tough for the players to make it to the competition. Although India is also on the red list for travel to the UK due to the deadly second wave of Coronavirus, the Indian Men’s and Women’s teams are scheduled to tour England in June according to ICC’s Future Tour Programs. Hence it would be easier for Indian women to be available for the tournament than the South African contingent. Verma, the number one T20I batter in ICC'S rankings for Women, has so far played 22 T20Is scoring 617 runs at an average which is touching 30 and a dangerous strike rate of 148. The youngest Indian T20I debutant has three fifties and a best of 73 in her kitty as well.