• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Somerset Sign Up New Zealand Batsman Devon Conway For Vitality Blast County Championship

Somerset sign up New Zealand batsman Devon Conway for Vitality Blast, County Championship

Somerset have signed up New Zealand explosive batsman Devon Conway for nine matches of the Vitality T20 Blast and a couple of county championship fixtures scheduled between June 23rd to July 18. 

Excited at the prospect of playing in the England domestic circuit, Conway said that condition during the summer in England pose challenges to players and hoped that he could bring an impact for Somerset in the T20 Blast and County Championship.

“Somerset has a very good reputation and I’m excited to be joining the team for a key part of the season. I’m really looking forward to the challenge. England is one of the places where everyone wants to test their skills during the summer and hopefully, I can positively contribute to success in the Vitality Blast and the County Championship,” Conway said in a statement.

Notably, the left-hander has also found a place in the New Zealand squad for the tour of England where they will play two Test matches against the hosts and India in the World Test Championship final and Conway is likely to join Somerset post completion of his international commitments. 

Conway has earned the limelight for his hard-hitting abilities with the bat. He grew into prominence based on his batting in the T20Is at home and also capitalised on opportunities handed out to him in the 50-over format.

Devon has played 14 T20Is for New Zealand, averaging 59.12 with a strike rate of 151 and including the highest score of 99 not out against Australia earlier this year. He has also featured in three One-Day Internationals and has amassed 225 runs with an astounding average of 75 and the highest score of 126 runs.

Discover more

Top Stories
news

BCCI 'committed' to arrange safe ways for Australians to go back home: Cricket Australia chief

Staying true to the promises made on making sure all players will reach their homes safely, the BCCI is making moves to send all of the Australian players and support staffs involved in the IPL 2021 to either Sri Lanka or the Maldives before they can be eligible for getting entry into Australia for which a chartered flight will be arranged later. There were reports that players and former players who wished to return to their homes in Australia will be staying in quarantine in the Maldives to make themselves eligible for entry into their own country. Now, Cricket Australia's interim chief executive Nick Hockley has confirmed that the BCCI is ‘committed’ to ensure all the players and support staffs reach their respective homes. "What the BCCI is working to do is to move the entire cohort out of India where they will wait until it's possible to return to Australia. The BCCI has been working on a range of options. That's now narrowed down to the Maldives and Sri Lanka. The BCCI is committed not only to the first move but also to putting on a charter to bring them back to Australia,” Hockley said to reporters. After the 14th edition of the Indian Premier League was ‘indefinitely suspended,’ there were uncertainties on the plans for the Australian players and former players who were part of different teams as the Australian government has mandated return from India as a punishable offence.

news

PBKS co-owner Ness Wadia eyeing September window for IPL 2021 comeback

There are concerns surrounding the future of the Indian Premier League after its 14th edition was suspended due to the rising number of cases in franchises. However, some franchise owners are not worried bout the future and backing the league to emerge stronger out of the latest crisis due to Covid-19. A co-owner of the revamped Punjab Kings, Ness Wadia has said that the league that started in 2008 is the most ‘flexible, adaptable and adjustable’ and it can sustain any sort of circumstances. "This is the No 1 tournament in the world. Not just in terms of value, but also for its adaptability. It is the league that is the most flexible, adaptable and adjustable. Whether the move to South Africa in 2009, to UAE in 2014 and 2020, and whether it being held in India the in most gruelling of Covid situations and circumstances, it always emerged strong. There won't be any impact on the league in future. The decision to suspend is right and I am sure they will hold it again," Wadia told Cricbuzz. Although Wadia backed the BCCI’s move of suspending the tournament in wake of the rising number of cases in the bio bubbles of various franchises and also in the outside world in India, he seems confident the 14th edition will resume sometime later this year. "It is very unfortunate but it is a decision that is correct under the current circumstances. I would say given the drastic increase in cases in the last two-three weeks, it has brought in a new dimension to the planning that was done at the beginning," Wadia added. He echoed optimism in line with the thoughts of IPL chairman Brijesh Patel who earlier today said that the BCCI is looking to find a window either before or after the ICC World T20 scheduled to be played later this year. “I think it ( IPL) will definitely come back, sooner than later. If you look at the cricketing window - September before the T20 World Cup. That could happen,” Wadia told Sportstar. Meanwhile, many overseas players who were part of various IPL franchises have left India and some of them have also reached their home countries.