• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Sangakkara Lauds Sakariya Parag Considers Them As Future India Prospects

Sangakkara lauds Sakariya, Parag; considers them as future India prospects

The Indian Premier League’s 2021 season, though suspended for the time being is still keeping Chetan Sakariya amongst the most discussed players. Kumar Sangakkara, his team director from the Rajasthan Royals praised the youngster calling him a revelation of the season. 

"Chetan Sakariya was a revelation," said the former Sri Lanka captain in a webinar organised by the Royals on May 13. 

"He's had a tough year since January so far and our love and prayers are with him. His attitude and ability to build pressure and of course his skill. It's wonderful to have him in the side,” added Sangakkara, pointing out how the Saurashtra player first lost his bother early this year and then his father to Covid-19 just recently. Sakariya took seven wickets in seven games for the Royals and bowled both with the new ball and at the death. 

Talking about other youngsters from the Royals side, Sanga praised the trio of Anuj Rawat, Yashwshvi Jaiswal and Mahipal Lomror. “We have Anuj, Yash, Mahipal, three youngsters who have been with the franchise for a long time and I was very impressed by all three of them,” he said. 

The coach further emphasised that although the Under-19 star Jaiswal did get a lot of opportunities in the middle, Delhi wicket-keeper batsman Rawat could not get to bat, even when he made it to the XI against Sunrisers Hyderabad, which was the last game of the suspended season for the Royals. 

“Mahi worked really hard in the nets to put his hand up for selection. Those three boys were just outstanding for us,” added the former President of the MCC. 

Talking about another exciting prospect for the Royals team, Sangakkara, who himself represented Sri Lanka for a record 404 ODIs, 134 Tests and 56 T20Is felt that Assam’s Riyan Parag has it in him to get selected for Team India. "Riyan Parag is also a very, very special player. He's got a huge amount to contribute not just to Rajasthan Royals, but also Indian cricket in the future. He's a very special talent that needs care, nurturing and development,” the 43-year old said. 

Discover more

Top Stories
news

Shreyas Iyer starts rehabilitation, could be considered for T20 World Cup

Stylish young batsman Shreyas Iyer has started his rehabilitation process after undergoing shoulder surgery. In a video posted from his official Twitter handle, Iyer shared a video where he can be seen getting into fitness drills slowly and steadily. Iyer who is ruled out of the limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka had a realistic chance of captaining the Indian side in the absence of stalwarts. However, given the strict COVID protocols, Iyer have to miss out on the tour to the island nation. Lack of match time might prove to be his nemesis when the selectors sit down to pick the squad for the T20 World Cup slated to be held in India in October-November. However, a report in Hindu suggests that the BCCI have spoken with the team management and the selectors on Iyer and his possible return in the T20 World Cup. This will give Iyer ample time to fully recover before the mega event. Iyer sustained a shoulder injury during the limited-overs series against England at home and have not taken part in any competitive cricket since then. He underwent a surgery which also ruled him out of the entire IPL. However with the 14th edition of the Indian Premier League suspended indefinitely, he might return for the second leg if and when it takes place. The Delhi Capitals skipper underwent shoulder surgery on 9th April and was expected to take three months to recover. With the series in Sri Lanka lined up in July, it wouldn’t have been possible for Iyer to force his way back into the team.

news

Michael Hussey could potentially be stranded in India after Maldives imposes travel ban

Former Australian batsman and the batting coach of Chennai Super Kings, Michael Hussey might be left stranded in India after Maldives temporarily suspended visa for travellers coming from South Asian nations and most definitely India is a part of that list. This travel ban has meant that the Australian contingent who is now in the Maldives after the 14th edition of the IPL got suspended will have to stay there for some more time. Hussey who tested positive for Coronavirus won’t be able to travel to the island nation now and join the rest of the Australian contingent. He was airlifted to a Chennai facility where the batting coach is recovering from the deadly virus. He was supposed to fly off to Maldives and wait there with the rest of the Australian contingent till the Australian government lifted the travel bans. However, Hussey who was tested positive for the second time will be staying back in India until any further notice. It must be noted that he needs to clear three tests to be eligible to fly out of India. Hussey tested negative in the first test but returned positive in the second which has extended his isolation period further. It is now highly unlikely that he will be able to join the Australian contingent. In all likelihood, Hussey might have to stay back in India until the ban is lifted. CSK CEO, Kasi Vishwanathan made it clear that a decision can only be taken when another test is conducted on Thursday. “The test will be done tomorrow and we will know the result only day after. We will have to see how the situation is. First, the priority is to see when Hussey recovers. He is recovering well and is asymptomatic now and the parameters are also okay,” Kasi Vishwanathan was quoted as saying by Inside Sport. “If there is a travel ban for India, obviously he will not be able to join the rest of the contingent in the Maldives. But it’s too early to say anything. We have to wait and see the situation. Let him first test negative. We will assess the situation on that day and plan accordingly,” Vishwanathan added.