Rohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja begin rehab at NCA

India’s limited-overs captain Rohit Sharma and all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja have begun their rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore. The two were ruled out of the Test fixtures against South Africa due to injuries. 

Sharma who was also handed over the vice captaincy in Tests will be missing the series against the Proteas due to a hamstring injury while Jadeja was ruled out of the South Africa tour due to a knee injury. 

The two players were seen with the U19 captain Yash Dhull who posted pictures with them on social media. Dhull will be leading India U19 side in the Asia Cup beginning in the UAE from December 23.

Rohit had first replaced Virat Kohli in the T20Is as the skipper after Kohli had stepped down from the post. The new captain had a brilliant start to his full time captaincy career as The Men in Blue completed a clean sweep win against the Kiwis in the T20I series. 

Sharma was then given the ODI captaincy as well. According to BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, the selectors was not in favour of keeping two limited-overs captains. 

India will begin the Test series against South Africa onD December 26 in Centurion while the ODIs are slated to commence on January 19, 2022 in Paarl. 

Discover more

Top Stories
news

Most guys didn’t sleep whole night: Nicholas Pooran proud of West Indies fight in last T20I

West Indian stand-in skipper Nicholas Pooran who had got the duty to captain the team on Pakistan tour after regular skipper Kieron Pollard pulled out, said that he was proud of his team’s fight in the last T20I of the three-match series against the hosts. This statement came after the West Indies team’s five members tested Covid-19 positive just ahead of the game and they had to scamper to assemble an 11 man team to play the last game. “Most of the guys haven't slept the whole night and I'm very proud of the unit. I want to commend all the guys for making that extra effort to come out to play today,” Pooran said in the post-match interview after his team lost the game by seven wickets. Talking about the events before the game where the squad’s total strength came down significantly after the cases with three players in Roston Chase, Kyle Mayers and Sheldon Cottrell having tested positive for Covid-19 earlier on December 11. “We spent the whole day wondering whether we should play this game or not. A lot of positives and a lot of guys took their opportunities,” said Pooran who played an instrumental role in his team scoring 207 in their 20 overs. The skipper scored 64 off 37 deliveries. However, with brilliant knocks from Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan, both of whom completed big fifties, Pakistan managed to chase down the target with seven balls remaining. but, Pooran was extremely delighted with the performance even as he felt that while batting his men could have scored a lot more runs than they already did. “ [These are] A special bunch of guys and we have competed throughout and well done to the guys. [I] Felt like the last two overs, we lost the momentum. Pakistan bowled well. We were 15 runs short on this wicket,” said the 26-year-old. Due to the Covid-19 scenario, the three-match ODI series between the two teams has now been postponed to June 2022.

news

The Ashes | Pat Cummins allowed to go home, Cricket Australia refutes South Australia govt's charge

Australia Test captain Pat Cummins, who got ruled out of the ongoing Day-Night Ashes Test in Adelaide has been granted permission to head home in New South Wales despite being a close contact of a Covid-19 infected person, Fox Sports reported. Also, Cricket Australia has categorically denied the charge levied by the South Australia government that the board decided to rule the skipper Pat Cummins out of the second Ashes Test on its own and without consultation with the Health Department. CEO Nick Hockely said that the board went through a quick discussion with the health department and decided to exclude Cummins from the Day-Night Test only after getting the confirmation of him being a close contact. “I think the Premier’s reference is that normally they go through quite a detailed process of contact tracing,” Hockley told SEN radio. “The work we did was engage SA Health immediately. And we needed to understand the situation in very (quickly). “We called an emergency meeting with our contacts at SA health and they confirmed Pat would be treated as close contact, so it was very much a collective decision and we had that confirmation through from SA Health. We knew (Cummins was a close contact) ahead of time through our discussions with SA Health.” Cummins’ departure to New South Wales has all but cleared the way for his return to the Australia Test side for the Boxing Day Test at the MCG starting December 26. In his absence, Steve Smith lead the Test side after a gap of four years and Michael Neser got the Baggy green to bowl alongside Mitchell Starc and Jhye Richardson.