• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Mumbai Appoint Shams Mulani As Captain Of Squad Touring Oman Ahead Of T20 World Cup

Mumbai appoint Shams Mulani as captain of squad touring Oman ahead of T20 World Cup

Accepting Oman Cricket's invitation to tour their country for the team’s practice ahead of the all-important T20 World Cup, the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has selected a squad under the captaincy of Shams Mulani, for the tour. The Oman Cricket had earlier confirmed the 41 time Ranji winner’s tour. 

“The Mumbai’s tour of Oman is confirmed and I am sure they will be bringing the best available squad. These matches will be ideal preparation for the WCL League 2 tri-series in September and the T20 World Cup in October,” Oman’s coach and Oman Cricket’s Chief Development Officer Dulip Mendis said. 

“Mumbai has a strong side and we will get proper match practice,” said Mendis who is also,” he added. 

Apart from Mulani, the squad will also have IPL stars like Shivam Dube and Yashasvi Jaiswal. Child sensation and also considered a prodigy, Arman Jaffer has also been included in the team that would be coached by domestic legend Amol Mazumdar. 

The teams would play three T20Is and three ODIs on the tour when they land in Oman on August 19. The Mumbai team would depart from the gulf nation on September 03. 

Mumbai Squad

Shams Mulani (c), Aakarshit Gomel, Hardik Tamore, Arman Jaffer, Chinmay Sutar, Shivam Dube, Aman Khan, Sujit Naik, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shashank Attarde, Mohit Awasthi, Sairaj Patil, Deepak Shetty and Dhurmil Matkar. 

Discover more

Top Stories
news

South African David Wiese to play for Namibia in T20 World Cup 2021

Former South Africa all-rounder David Wiese will be turning out for Namibia in the upcoming T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates and Oman in October- November this year. Wiese, who is South Africa born and represented the Proteas from 2013-16 in six ODIs and 20 T20Is has qualified to play for the neighbouring country on the basis of his descent. Weise’ father was born in Namibia and hence he qualifies to play for them immediately, by virtue of first descent. Cricket Namibia CEO Johan Muller also confirmed this development to cricket website ESPNcricinfo. Though the 36-year-old has made himself available, the Nambian squad has yet not been finalised. The ICC has given September 10 as the deadline for the teams to submit their squads for the World Cup. Namibia qualified for their first-ever T20 World Cup after beating Oman in the Semi-Final playoffs and eventually finishing fourth in the tournament with the top six teams making the cut for the 2020 T20 World cup, which was initially to be played in Australia. With Covid causing postponement, the 2020 edition has been now shifted to 2022 and instead 2019 qualification was treated as the qualifying process for the 2021 T20 World Cup to be hosted by India in UAE and Oman. Weise, who joined the Kolpak deal with Sussex in 2017 would be in the company of his fellow South Africans Pierre de Bruyn and Albie Morkel who have joined the Namibian team as support staff for the tournament.

news

To believe and stay positive: Kemar Roach’s mantra in thrilling one-wicket win against Pakistan

West Indies fast bowler Kemar Roach became the unlikely hero with the bat for West Indies as they chased down 168 set by Pakistan in the first of the two-Test matches taking place at Sabina Park, Jamaica to win the game by one wicket. Roach, who scored unbeaten 30 and was instrumental in taking West Indies from 114-7 to the victory, said that the only thing that kept him going was belief and staying positive. "I have never been in a situation like that before, batting with the tail. I am part of the tail, so for me, it was to go out there and believe. That was the biggest thing - to believe and stay positive - and it worked, and I give thanks,” said the 33-year-old during the post-match interview. Explaining the plan when he got together with wicket-keeper batter Joshu Da Silva, with 54 runs still required and only two more batsmen in the dressing room, the Barbadian said, "The plan was to just stay positive. That's me. I was just trying to take on every ball as it came.” “This is by far the most important innings so far. I was just trying to pick the gaps and run hard,” he added further. Roach and West Indies were in a spot of bother with youngster Jayden Seales walking in to bat at number 11 and the team still requiring 17 more to win. Roach was asked about his plans and pep talk to Seales. To that, he replied, “My advice to Jayden was ‘just protect the stumps’. The biggest threat is the straight ball. He did it very well. He is a star for the future. His five wickets today speaks wonders about our cricket. All the best to him, and I wish him a great career!"