The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to send reinforcements to the UK after a couple of more players, Avesh Khan and Washington Sundar were ruled out of the England Tests with respective injuries.
As per a report in The Times of India , the BCCI has decided to send replacements for the players. “It’s a conscious decision on part of the BCCI. Earlier, when it was just about one opener, the board decided there were two other options for that slot in Abhimanyu Easwaran and KL Rahul. But now a good all-rounder and an upcoming pacer have also been ruled out. Given the length of the tour, BCCI will have to send replacements,” TOI quoted a source as saying.
The reports further added that Bhuvneshwar Kumar might also travel to the UK as he can be effective with the ball in those conditions and also prove handy with the bat.
“Probably why Rahul Dravid decided not to play Devdutt Padikkal despite considering five replacements for Friday’s game. Bhuvneshwar Kumar could be in the mix too, considering he can bat and can be effective in English conditions,” the source told the paper.
A BCCI official confirmed that Prithvi Shaw and Suryakumar Yadav would be travelling to the UK from Sri Lanka and the two players will have a bubble to bubble transfer while Jayant Yadav will not join the Indian squad in England.
"Yes, Prithvi and Surya are flying to the UK from Sri Lanka. Jayant was also supposed to go but there has been some change in plans due to quarantine requirements. Jayant is now not going. Both players will have a bubble to bubble transfer from Colombo to London. Whether they will fly in the middle of the T20 Internationals or post that is being worked out," the senior official told PTI.
India suffered a blow ahead of the Test series after Sundar and Avesh were ruled out of the series. Avesh sustained an injury during the practice match and dislocated his thumb while Sundar aggravated his finger injury.
Opener Gill had already been ruled out of the fixtures after he suffered shin splints during the final of the World Test Championship.
The Virat Kohli-led India side is slated to play a five-match series against England beginning on August 4 in Nottingham.