Bangladesh Cricket Board President Nazmul Hassan Papon is in talks with the board members to finalise the extension of Bangladesh senior national team head coach Russell Domingo’s contract. Domingo, who signed up after the 2019 World Cup is about to have his initial contract’s time over.
However, the recent 4-1 victory over Australia along with a successful Zimbabwe tour and an ODI series win against Sri Lanka has changed the scenario in Domingo’s favour, which was previously uncertain due to Bangladesh’s continuous failure, the biggest being 2-0 drubbing in Tests by second-string West Indies team at home.
"No final decision has been made. He is with us till the World Cup (2021 T20 World Cup). Contract renewal will happen. There is no problem with this. The contract is most likely to be extended,” Papon said in a media interaction on Sunday, August 15 ahead of the national team’s high-performance camp being set up at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhary Stadium in Chattogram.
"We have not yet informed him [Domingo] about this decision, neither have we discussed it with ourselves. We just talked to a few people. Now we need to talk to many more. Then we will make the final decision,” the BCB prez added.
Clarifying that the talk is only about the extension of the contract till 2022 T20 World Cup and not till 2023 ODI World Cup, Papon said, “Most likely we have been thinking for a year. There are two T20 World Cups. For now, the idea of renewing until the 2022 T20 World Cup is in mind. We will confirm it after talking with everyone.”
The Tigers, having won a historic first bilateral series against Australia will be taking on New Zealand in another five-match T20I series starting September 1 at the Sher-E-Bangla Stadium in Dhaka.