• Home
  • Cricket News
  • Ajaz Patel Bracewell Offered Maiden New Zealand Central Contracts

Ajaz Patel, Bracewell offered maiden New Zealand central contracts

On May 13, the New Zealand Cricket Board announced the central contracts for the 2022-23 season, which comprised a total of 20 players. The spinner Ajaz Patel and all-rounder Micheal Bracewell have earned their maiden central contract on the back of consistent performances. 


In the last couple of years, the Wellington captain Bracewell has emerged to be one of the best players coming out of domestic cricket. In the 2021/22 season, he has contributed in both departments across all three formats and returned as the leading run-scorer of the team in the Super Smash with 478 runs in 10 innings. Additionally, he came out with flying colours in a recent series for the Kiwi team against the Netherlands as well. 


On the other hand, Ajaz Patel had become only the third bowler in Test cricket history to take 10 wickets in a single innings in a fixture against India last year. 


The Kiwi head coach, Gary Stead, team thinks the selections are getting tougher year by year.


"Finalising the list seems to get tougher by the year. The busy international calendar means we’re calling on a wider base of talent these days and the likes of Michael Bracewell is testament to the depth of that talent,” said Stead. 


Stead further praised Patel and Bracewell, and he is excited about their performances for the Blackcaps. 


“Michael’s been consistently performing on the domestic circuit for seasons now and we certainly see him as an international prospect in all three formats. It’s great to see Ajaz back on the list after narrowly missing out last season. His value as our leading red-ball spinner is clear and we’re excited to see the role he could play in the Test team going forward,” Stead further added. 


"I’d like to congratulate all 20 players who have received a national contract offer for the coming season and wish those heading away this winter all the best,” he added. 


Apart from Taylor (retired), the other name missing from the previous contract is all-rounder James Neesham, who has not played a Test match since 2017, while his preview ODI outing was in March 2021. 


Other notable absentees are Tim Seifert, Adam Milne, Rachin Ravindra and Will Somerville. 


As per NZC’s bylaws, all the contracted players have time until May 19 to accept or decline the offer proposed by the board. 


Contracted players' list 2022/23: Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Michael Bracewell, Devon Conway, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls, Ajaz Patel, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Neil Wagner, Kane Williamson, Will Young.


Discover more

Top Stories
news

'Cheteshwar Pujara should be considered for India', reckons Sunil Gavaskar

The ongoing season of County Championship has given some respite to Cheteshwar Pujara after being left out of the Indian Test squad due to lack of form. Playing for Sussex, Pujara has been churning out runs left, right, and center. In four games thus far, the right-hander from Saurashtra has scored two double hundreds and as many tons. After many experts, now former India captain Sunil Gavaskar has given his views on whether Pujara could be considered for national duty, after this tremendous run for Sussex. Speaking to Sports Tak, Gavaskar said, "Yes, it should be kept in mind (for India's Test match in England). Just last year we saw that before the World Test Championship final, New Zealand played two Test matches in England. Therefore, they got acclimatised to the conditions there and when they got similar conditions in Southampton for the WTC final. It was raining. They were used to the condition.” Pujara is currently the second-highest run-getter in County Championship Division II, with 717 runs at a staggering average of 143.40. Gavaskar explained how India could take advantage of Pujara’s form in county cricket. "This is what is happening to Cheteshwar Pujara. He has gotten used to batting in English conditions, against their bowlers. Yes, there is a huge difference between a County attack and a Test bowling attack, but when a batter is in rhythm, why not take advantage and consider him." The Indian national selection committee decided to drop Pujara for the home series against Sri Lanka and urged him to regain lost form in the Ranji Trophy season ahead. The out-of-favour Indian international was eventually demoted from Grade A to B when the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) handed out central contracts for the upcoming season, earlier in March. Later, the original 'Little Master' explained why Pujara remains a valuable asset for Team India. "It's not like he will be making a comeback to the Test team after two to three years. It's been a matter of six to seven months. Till September, he was in the team. He was part of the team during the Test series against New Zealand and in South Africa too. He was in the team since January. So yes, he should definitely be considered for the XI. His ability to tire out the bowler and hold one end is highly needed. And we have seen that his strike-rate is good too in County cricket”, Gavaskar concluded.